10. Work and play are interchangeable words.
9. When I wave my arms, people speed up and slow down. Sometimes they speed up and slow down when I’m not waving my arms. This teaches me to be patient.
8. Green rooms.
7. It’s the second best connection you can make.
6. Applause and money are nice, don’t kid yourself.
5. The notes are an awesome, intricate and endlessly fascinating structure. The space between the notes? That’s where God lives.
4. Any rock musician who’s honest will tell you that wires and amps and guitars and keyboards and drums are just cool all by themselves. Many rock musician spouses do not subscribe to this philosophy.
3. Reading a chart, writing a song, improvising or working a dance groove are all a rush, not unlike riding a bike or driving a car, or, I would imagine, walking a high wire. It feels good to move forward, and the knowledge that you could crash and burn at any moment concentrates the mind. Very Zen, eh?
2. Speaking of Zen, making music is it. You lose yourself, the spirit moves and the mystery shakes you. World within worlds, atoms and universes, same thing.
1. Nine is enough. What are the top ten things you like about your life?